Friday 2 October 2015

Avocado Hummus with a twist!

This is my new favourite recipe with two of my favourite ingredients... AVOCADO AND CHICKPEAS!
 
These two fabulous ingredients have so many benefits and can accompany any meal or snack you heart desires! I have put a chilli twist in mine for those who like the heat, however it can easily be taken out! I also wanted to share with you some of the benefits of these ingredients!
 
 

The nutritional benefits of hummus can be rooted down from each of its ingredients. For one, chickpeas are very healthy because they do not contain any cholesterol or saturated fats. They are also rich in protein. This makes hummus a favourite among vegetarians. Chickpeas are also known to be effective in preventing build up of cholesterol in the blood vessels. Apart from that, it can maintain correct blood sugar levels!
 
 
"Avocados offer nearly 20 vitamins and minerals in every serving, including potassium (which helps control blood pressure), lutein (which is good for your eyes), and folate (which is crucial for cell repair and during pregnancy). Avocados are a good source of B vitamins, which help you fight off disease and infection. They also give you vitamins C and E, plus natural plant chemicals that may help prevent cancer. Avocados are low in sugar. And they contain fiber, which helps you feel full longer." (Sourced from: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/all-about-avocados)


 
Now for the fabulous, delicious and ever wonderful recipe! For this one, I use my favourite appliance in my kitchen, The Breville Food Processor! This amazing contraption has made my life in the kitchen so much simpler and easier - and for this recipe it cuts the time in half! You can buy it from any good appliance store, personally I got mine from Harvey Norman!
 
 



 
Avocado Hummus Dip
Makes 3 cups
Gluten Free, Lactose Free & Vegetarian Friendly
 
Ingredients:
4 x Ripe avocados (peeled and de-seeded)
2 x cans of chickpeas (drain out water)
2 x fresh limes
4 x tbsp. EVOO
(Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 x tsp Cummin
1 x tbsp. crushed garlic
1 x long red chilli (cut finely)
Salt and Pepper
 
Method:
1. Process the chickpeas with 1 tbsp. of oil until smooth (this may take a few minutes and some scrapping down the sides with a spatula)
2. Add avocado and process until it becomes a smooth, silky texture
3. Add all other ingredients and process until combined
4. Sprinkle chilli flakes and drizzle olive oil into jars or serving bowl
5. EAT!

 
 I hope you enjoyed this fabulous recipe and let me know what you think or any alternatives! As you might start finding out, I am obsessed with beautiful photos, however I am also realistic, so you will see Tupperware containers in my action shots as this is what I store my food in, like any other kitchen :)

Enjoy, C xx

No comments:

Post a Comment